Tuesday, January 20, 2009

confessions of a sore loser ~


Today is inauguration day ~ I wish I were happy. I chose not to watch the coverage of the inauguration of our newly elected president Barak Obama. I would love to be a witness to this historic event, but I just cannot bring myself to watch.
I have really wrestled with the outcome of this election and I wish I could say that my wrestling has been noble. But is has not..it has been mostly the heart of, for lack of a better word, a sore loser. I have been just that...and I gave myself until today to sulk and pout, to kick and scream, to whine and complain, telling myself that until January 20, he was not my president, but today, January 20th, he is just that...my president, my commander and chief...and the man my children will grow to know as the president of their youth.(sigh)

As I swallow hard and pray for the obedience to pray, I accept this man as my leader...like taking a big cumbersome vitamin, I choke this day down and accept the sovereignty in this affair. I have no more words, no more tantrums, and hopefully no more tears, (yes there have been tears)...I am resolved to give up my poor sportsmanship as of today.

So,as this historic day takes place, I look back at the last eight years with a grateful, endearing sigh and say, Thanks you President George W. Bush...thank you for keeping us safe, thank you for your fortitude and unwavering resolve in the face of extreme criticism, and thank you for your obvious love of The living God. And I look forward to the next 4+ years with a hope that comes only through my head's knowledge of God's provisional truth, and I pray that the hope trickles down form my head's knowledge to my heart's peace.

The only words left to say are that of the Apostle Paul ~ "Let us be subject to governing authorities for there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist are instituted by God." ~ Romans 13:1.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Laura,
I was thinking of you all day. It even crossed my mind to call and check on you...I'm sorry I didn't. I know this has been hard on you. Hang in there girl...nothing is out of the control of our sorvereign God. He is in control. I know you know that.
Jennifer

The Bearded Lady (Laura) said...

Very well done my dear!! Let us humble ourselves before the throne of grace!!